Wednesday, March 21, 2012

A new top

Wow I have been completely absent from blogland. Well, I am back and here's a top ready for spring! This is a Simplicity 2593 made with voile by Anna Maria Horner. It's very light weight and silky smooth. The garment is finished with french seams, which I am very happy with.

I made version A of the pattern with the rolled neckband. I took Jona's advice and folded under 1" on the back fold line at the top to get rid of the droopiness in the back. I also raised the neckline in the front by 1" simply because I want to be able to bent down to tent to my preschooler without worry about showing too much flesh. Overall I am very pleased with the changes.
Unfortunately I don't have a better  picture of the top. Note the neckband.

When I wear it for the first time while on vacation in San Francisco. I just couldn't seem to get the neckband to sit nicely. And since I was wearing a cardigan, which I usually do, the bump in the back from the neckband was more than a bit annoying.When we got home, my first project was to take out the neckband. Since I didn't use a matching bias tape to bind the neckline, simply leaving out the neckband was not an option.

Here's what I came up with...

I am hoping the pleated raw edges will fray a bit after washing, giving it a softer look.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back, it really has been a long time. Love your new top, great rescue job, there's nothing more annoying than spending time on something you don't enjoy wearing. I'm sure you'll feel happier with the new version. Love the fabric.
    Kate

    ReplyDelete