Monday, May 31, 2010

A yellow top

Here's Simplicity 3887 view 'C'. I picked up the fabric when I was in San Francisco and has been wanting to make a top with it since. It felt good to sew all day! DH is not complaining about looking after the kids and doing the cooking for the day. :-)


This pattern has 10" ease, which seems huge! So I made a muslin and took 2" off the front and back each. I made the mistake of doing the same to the neck bands. As a result the collar was too small. I wasn't thinking obviously. Fortunately it was a muslin. The muslin felt a bit tight around the hip, so when I made the real one, I used 1 cm seam allowance. I didn't bother with interfacing for the neck band. It seems to be ok. Do you find a big difference? I also shortened the top by about 2".

The sleeves are puffy. Hopefully it will relax a bit after washing. I think I will add the hip band without a bow. Nonetheless, I love this top. Compare to my first top, this one has much better craftmanship. It makes me happy.

6 comments:

  1. I love your top, very nice puffy sleeves. Very feminine and delicate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! I love the pleats across the front and that color yellow- so soft and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I love the yellow as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty. Love that fabric. Looks like an ideal summer top!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done ! This is a sweet lovely top .

    ReplyDelete