Friday, June 18, 2010

My quest for the perfect summer top

I am attempting to make a perfect summer top. I started from Stylish Dress Book 2 Dress "C", which I made a while ago but gathered around the neck too much.

Here are a few things I look for in a perfect summer top:
  • No too low cut but still breezy enough for a hot sunny day. I raised the neckline by an inch so that I can bend down to pick up Ben without worry about exposing more than I should. It turned out perfect and is super comfortable.
  • Allow me to throw a cardigan on without bunching or lumpiness. This is why I fore go the tie and simply sew in the straps. This is also why I choose a sleeveless top to start with.
  • The bra straps from my favorite lululemon bras won't show. Or at least it won't be the first thing you notice.  So I made the back narrower hoping the straps will be just over the bra straps. Am I crazy to be so particular about this? Anyway, this is only simi successful - the front is not bad but the bra straps are still showing on the back, although I don't think it is too ugly. What do you think?


A few other changes: I took in about an inch from each side and make the armholes about 1/2" smaller. I also shortened the bottom pieces so the ruffles are not too puffy. Next time, I will make it a bit longer and add side pockets.


I had so much fun making bias tape since I discovered this technique, I will be sewing more projects that uses bias tapes.

2 comments:

  1. A lovely and well sewn top ! Good work ! It still look pretty with the bra straps being shown on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! No, you are not crazy to think about all those things! I really like how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete