Wednesday, June 30, 2010

When a mistake becomes an opportunity...

So this afternoon Ben was napping and Sarah went to the wading pool with her cousin. I have about an hour before Ben wakes up. I meant to make a few more cushion covers to replace the ones I have right now, which are kinda winterish looking. I know which fabric to use - the Joel Dewberry leftover from my spring top. I even bought matching zipper last week. I have to act quick if I want to get it done before Ben wakes up.

I pulled out the fabric and started snipping and ripping - the best and fastest way to get rectanglal pieces of fabric that's guaranteed to be on grain. I ripped a 12.5" strip across the width, and then, as if the number 12.5" was engraved in my mind, I snipped at 12.5" along the strip and ripped, resulting in a square. Half way through the ripping I realized the mistake - I should have cut at 18.5"! Do I have enough to re-cut? No. There was a brief moment of silent between me and the square.

I turned my head to stare at my stash, and then my eyes landed on this beautiful Japanese linen I got from San Francisco. Is it time to cut this?
And so, the mistake turned out to be the excuse I needed to cut this fabric. Words cannot describe how much I love this cushion. It's soft, fresh, and crisp.
And look how well the zipper matches the fabric!
Apparently I am not the only one in the house that likes the new cushion.

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous!! I think this version ended up better than your original.... you make me want to go and sew a pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is lovely, the linen makes it and I'm not surprised in the least bit surprised it's gone down so well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry Natalie, that didn't come out very well did it? I meant to say I'm not in the least bit surprised it's gone down so well - oops

    ReplyDelete